As a community within Novato High School, we are both proud Hornets (NHS mascot) and proud Servals (MSA mascot.) In the MSA community, we value creativity, passion, hard-work, and diversity. Our MSA admission process reflects our desire to continually develop MSA, as talented and committed, artist scholars that represent the best of the Bay.
Admission to Marin School of the Arts at Novato High School is through an application and audition review process. Students are accepted both from within the Novato Unified School District and all areas of Marin, Sonoma and surrounding counties. Prospective students and their parents are invited to participate in activities that help families understand the breadth and depth of our program offerings including MSA Family Tours and Student Shadow Days. These activities are offered before beginning the application process (see information below). Admission to MSA is based on the criteria described on the Audition and Portfolio Guidelines page. No preference is given to where an incoming student lives.
Applications for the 2020-21 school year remain open for the programs listed. Programs accepting applications:
Cinematic Arts * Digital Arts & Animation * Instrumental Music – Jazz or Classical only * Photography * Theatre/Musical Theatre * Video Game Design * Vocal Music * (What about RockBand?)
Because Marin School of the Arts is a specialized program within Novato High School for students who are passionate about the arts and may wish to pursue college-level arts training we require students to maintain a 2.0 or higher grade point average and good attendance and citizenship. These qualities will be verified after auditions and before communicating an official offer.
We welcome the opportunity to get to know all interested applicants and look forward to either seeing you at a Family Tour or reviewing your application!
The Application Process
Acceptance to the Marin School of the Arts is based primarily on the student’s audition and review of the student’s application by the program faculty. We are looking for students who are passionate about their art form—it is not necessary for applicants to have previous professional training.
Once ALL required application forms have been submitted (see instructions below), applicant families will be contacted to schedule audition(s).
1. Complete the MSA Student Information Form (below). You may select up to three programs and click submit once complete.
MSA Student Information Form (click form name at left to begin your application)
You will then receive an email with links to the MSA Program Applications page, which must be submitted prior to scheduling an audition.
2. Application Date: Need date here.
3. Audition and Portfolio Interviews: Need date here, with the exception of Theatre Arts, which will hold auditions on Need date here. Late auditions and interviews will be handled on a case by case basis. You may also visit the Audition and Portfolio Guidelines page for more information about each program’s audition process.
4. Required School Records: In order to complete your application, please send copies of the applicant’s unofficial school transcript, attendance and discipline records to the MSA Office. You may use the Records Request by Parent form (click form title to download) to request your student’s records from your school.
Please send your student’s records to the MSA Office via mail to 625 Arthur St., Novato, CA 94947, attn: MSA Applications.
5. Final Audition Date: Need date here
6. Notification of Admission Status: Need date here
7. Letters of intent must be returned to MSA by: Need date here
For additional information or questions contact: Marin School of the Arts, 625 Arthur, Novato, CA 94947. Phone: (415) 798-5063 or email: MSA@nusd.org