Rock Band Program
Welcome MSA Rock Band & Contemporary Music!
MSA provides a rare chance for students to study contemporary, rock and popular music genres through performance and rehearsal in an academic setting. All students are required to participate in two MSA classes; we encourage students to diversify their learning as much as possible by adding jazz band, choir, or concert band to their schedules in addition to one section of Contemporary Music.
Students perform covers and originals spanning all styles and time periods. Performances include 3-4 rock concerts offered on and off campus, Soirees, in-class performances, festivals and other events.
Music theory is studied every week and historical context considered, students will have an exam each semester on topics covered. Participants will also be tested weekly on required technical benchmarks. Students are to practice outside of class so that time in class may be devoted to rehearsal.
- Students will participate in multiple groups.
- Students will be required to take a second period with the Jazz Band, Choirs, or Chamber Music.
- Students will have a regular program of music theory, composition, and music history.
Extra Curricular Opportunities
- Community Performances
- Joint projects with other arts focus areas
- Recording of original music encouraged